Sunday, May 01, 2005

¿The Last Post?

Right, half past six Friday evening and I´ve arranged to meet Belen for a concert at seven, so time for a very quick catch-up, which may be the last thing I post in Buenos Aires. I can barely believe it but I am leaving on Sunday. Trying to think of raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens etc but nonetheless close to tears most of the time.

On Tuesday evening, my nap over-ran so severely that I woke at half past midnight and as the milonga I had planned to go to finished at one, I finished off my book and went back to bed. My foot was already playing up by then too, so I thought it best not to take it out and torture it.

On Wednesday, I did a small amount of limping around shoe shops and have ordere a pair to be made for me which I hope will be pretty fab. I bought some others but am happy to say have not gone mad with the shoe shopping, bearing in mind the great sack of shoes I have waiting for me at home. In the evening, I went to see The Producers in Spanish, which was interesting but not as good as I had hoped. It plays here as a Carry On farce and poor Ulla is reduced to Barbara WIndsor-type wiggling and pouting that is a bit of a shame. The line "Wait until they hear abouthtis in Argentina" is left in but the lover from the Argentine in Along Came Bialy isn´t. People laughed at completely different things than in London and the shock value was much diminished - maybe if it had been a musical about torturing students then drugging themn and dropping them out of aeroplanes into the Rio Plata it would have touched more of a nerve.

After that, I went to a Milonga at Nacional which was pretty ropey. Of all the venues I Have been to, that is the most lacklustre and it seemed that someone had been in with the ugly stick before I arrived. Anyway, I met a very nice young French woman who had just arrived and had the pleasure of being the old hand and passing on a bit of wisdom. The evening was also notable for my having a twenty minute conversation in Spanish with a Porteña lady who didn´t dance but was there with her brother. Phew!

By Thursday morning, my left foot was killing me so I went to a pharmacist across the road and explained my dilemma. Well, if I had known you could buy serious drugs here without prescription.... heaven knows what it is they sold me but it has worked a treat! Pain largely gone, swelling down to barely noticeable propertions. If I have time, I will go back tomorrow and see if they will sell me another packet to take home.

I had an unsuccessful souvenir hunt - such tat on offer! - then my class in the afternoon, followed by a return to Club Español, which has to be one of my favourite milongas here. No time for details but it was great til my feet just failed me. At the end, I went with Francis, an American, and Kikki, a Swede, to the splendid Cafe Tortoni for a heavenly hot chocolate.

Today I have been out to lunch and on a tour of La Boca with the parents of my landlord, which was very intreresting as they grew up in the neighbourhood in extreme poverty with immigrant parents.

I´m pretty much out of time now & must hop in a cab and get to this concert.

So I have just tomorrow left and so much to do. ...

Hasta la vista!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home