Monday, April 11, 2005

Time is Flying

So, Monday afternoon has come around again. I was a little panicky when I realised that I´ve been here ten days already and in three weeks time I will be back in Blighty, tapping my toes and feeling like it was all a dream. I am already looking forward to my next visit to Argentina, when I hope to have a bit more time to go up to Iguazu Falls on the Brazilian border, Salta up on the other side near Chile, and down to the glaciers near Tierra del Fuego. But this trip now is all about tango.

The weekend just gone was fantastico. Obviously I didn´t come back here after getting my nails done on Friday as it occurred to me that fresh nail varnish and keyboards are never the cleverest combination. Instead I went home and had a little nap. Then, after a supper of grilled steak and potato crisps, I dressed up and took a cab to Club Gricel. I´m sure that when I am home I will not quite believe that I went out alone after eleven to a club where I might not know anyone and where my ability to communicate is severely limited. Hey ho! I hooked up with Daniel, who had so sweetly been teaching me Argentine Spanish the day before at l´Arranque, and sat with him and some other pupils of Mimi.

The club got very busy very quickly, so there was not much room either on the dance floor or off it. The surprising thing was that there was a bit of a bumper cars element on the dance floor; I thought that people here knew better how to use a small space. Anyway, it was a pleasant enough evening, despite Daniel´s insistence on getting some champagne that made me feel a bit off. I bumped into the Americans Dan & Judy again. I had seen them at l´Arranque the night before and in fact we had gone out for some supper afterwards. They may well think I am stalking them as I then saw them on Saturday and Sunday nights too.

The important thing is that my foxy, foxy killer heels came out with me on Friday night and had a twinkle around the dance floor. They didn´t get to do any real dancing as space was limited, but they´ll be back!

On Saturday, I did get to this concert that my landlord was playing in, and it was great fun. He explained to me on the phone that the reason I hadn´t been able to get in the week before was that the front entrance of the theatre is closed. He couldn´t explain why there wasn´t a note on the door suggesting that potential punters might like to walk around the block and get in at the back but he did agree that that might be a good idea! It is a family show called Minga and is set in a tango cafe. There is a small band in the corner playing lovely tango music while half a dozen acrobats do tango-themed tumbling and trapeze work. A fun way to spend an hour and a peso (20p!) on a weekend afternoon. There were loads of children in the audience and one of the nicest things was watching their enrapt little faces.

I had thought I would have a quiet night in on Saturday. Some Australian women I had met on Friday night explained that Saturdays are the night of the week when couples go out together, so there are slim pickings on the dance floor for us single girls. Through the week husbands and wives go their separate ways to dance but Saturday nights are pretty much part of the marriage contract when they make up for the week´s misdemeanours.

Still, so much for that. Miguel called early evening and asked if I would like to go out to a special dance so of course I said yes.

I have to go - I have a class at six - so will come back and tell more about the weekend tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home