Saturday, July 01, 2006

Carelessness

To support one team in the World Cup that gets knocked out in a penalty shoot out may be described as a misfortune, to lose two etc. etc.

What a swizz! Last time I try to show an interest in sport, I'm telling you now!

They should have played David Owen... and that Mickey Rooney, what was he thinking?
Let's hope that Malcolm McClaren has a better line-up for the next tournament....

Seriously, we girls were watching the match and could not work this out: during that extra half an hour they stuck on at the end, why were all our boys crowded up at the other end of the pitch defending the goal - surely Rrrrrrah-beeen-sohn's job? Then one of them would get the ball, kick it all the way down to our end, past the one England chap who wasn't trying to be goalie, who then hadn't a cat in hell's chance of scoring on his own. This was usually the uber-gangly Crrrrrah-ooooch, who would do his best to step over and around the little chaps from Portugal, but with nobody there to pass the ball to, he would always lose it and off it hurtled to the other end. England surely has a poor history when it comes to penalty shoot outs and without 2 key strikers - the lovely David substituted because his hair gel was starting to fail (hurty knee, indeed) and Mr.Potatohead for styling himself as the new Vinny Jones - surely they should have been trying to score during the actual play? What are we missing boys? If they had some clever strategy that is invisible to girls, it didn't work! Were they just bored running up and down? I know I would have been. Was it some sick gamble on breaking the dismal record with penalties?

My guess is that the post-match coverage in England will be that they threw it away. I would not argue with that, expert that I am. Over here, it is steadfastly maintained that Argentina was the best team in the tournament, played the better match yesterday and was only beaten because the Germans were really, really lucky.

Incidentally, on Thursday evening I suggested to one of my dance partners that it would just be rude of Argentina to beat Germany on their home ground. Clearly my Spanish isn't good enough to make jokes yet! I shan't be trying that line again, I may even have to avoid the guy I said it to for a few weeks!

Hey ho.

So that is it for the football. I did just catch the last few minutes of France beating Brazil but only so that I would not phone Michael while it was on in case Oswaldo was watching it. What on earth made me think they would be following the football I cannot imagine! Except of course that I had been, which is rare enough. Now if there was a musical about men in shorts...

Back to the tango tonight. The milongas have been very sparsely attended these past couple of weeks and one or two have had to close due to lack of interest. Some say this is because of the football and others because it is the low season for tourists. In some ways it is nice because the floors are less crowded but it can be a bit dire if there are not enough people to get a good atmosphere going. I should have thought to go to Salon Canning while things are slack. It is the one I hated last year but kept ending up going back to for various reasons. It has a great floor but there is rarely any chance to make the most of that, plus it is a long way to go to have a crap time so I have avoided it so far. I will go to El Beso tonight, it is not far from my flat and one of the better places for single people on a Saturday night. With any luck there will be plenty of commiserating going on about the footie. One reason I did not go out last night was I thought it might be difficult being English on such a sad day. Now we are even, for my own personal reasons I am comfortable! Sorry England!

I think I have only danced twice this week, which is unusual. I even had to cancel my lessons as I have had meetings set up with some wretched flat business which I will write about when it is all over. Enough to say for now that it has been very stressful and I was almost prompted to get on a plane to Scotland and run riot with a machine gun in an HSBC call centre. Funnily enough, if you say that to them, they WILL put you through to talk to somebody in your branch.

Now I am back in the mood for dancing, romancing, giving it all tonight.... as the Nolans so aptly put it. So, I shall post this and go to fire up the grill for my big old steak, then probably grab forty winks before tarting up and shipping out.

Adios amigos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home