Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Raring to go

Sunday night, the end of a lovely family day and finally it seemed really upon me that I am off to Buenos Aires. Everything was set up and all I had to do before Wednesday was pack my bags and learn Spanish.

Well, I also had to get my flat ready for the people who will be staying here while I am away. This took a little longer than anticipated; it appears I live in some squalor! I've spent many an hour sorting through the ludicrous amount of stuff I own, taking difficult decisions (how many paint-spattered pairs of espadrilles does a girl need? for example) as I shift it all out of the cupboards and sort it for rubbish, recycling, charity, eBay, keeping. I don’t think of myself as a shoe person and yet I have filled one of those huge woven plastic bags just with shoes – and that is after chucking out the espadrilles. Some more thinning out required when I get back, I think. I can’t even begin to express my horror at the clothes.

How hard can it be to learn Spanish, anyway?

It was the 6th of May 1998 when the idea first came to me to go to Buenos Aires. I went to a tango show that evening in London and came out so excited I just wanted to sell up and move to Argentina. Of course, in the morning I found I had other things to do and anyway I could just about acquit myself in ballroom dancing by then. Despite Susan’s encouragement, it was another five years before I even attempted the Argentinian tango. I don’t know what I was thinking, putting it off like that, the tango is fabulous.

So now it is Tuesday evening, I am surrounded by boxes and still have one room left to tidy. This time tomorrow I will be on an aeroplane somewhere over the South Atlantic. I've booked a taxi from the airport and a flat in central Buenos Aires for the month - all on the internet, so possibly a bit of a leap of faith. If all goes well, I will post my progress on this site.

So watch this space. Adios for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home